Personalized Licence Plates
Personalized licence plates reflecting your choice of letters and numbers are available in the Northwest Territories. They can be purchased by any NWT resident for use on private passenger vehicles including motorcycles and motor-homes.
Personalized plates cannot be used on vehicles which require special plates such as trailers, rental, dealer, public service, or commercial vehicles.
Guidelines for selecting your personalized licence plate slogan:
- Slogans must be between two and six characters, including blank spaces.
- Do not use numbers only, or any symbols or punctuation.
- Do not use combinations of letters or numbers that may be considered profane, offensive, or suggestive.
- Do not use combinations of characters that could create identification problems (e.g., 1 beside an I).
- Do not use combinations of characters that conflict wtih numbering systems already in use. This includes slogans beginning with CV, PS, RE, D, M, C and P followed by numbers.
More information and application forms for personalized licence plates are available at all local issuing offices. Forms should be accompanied by a $150.00 application fee, plus applicable service fees and GST. A full refund will be issued if your selection is unavailable or is ruled unacceptable. Forms must be delivered in person.
Lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed personalized plates can be replaced for a $25.00 fee, plus applicable service fees and GST. Any plates not claimed within three months will be destroyed.