Northern Aviation Scholarship
Have you been accepted into a full-time training program leading to a career in northern aviation?
If so, apply today for a $5,000 Northern Aviation Scholarship!
To be eligible for the award, applicants must:
- enrolled in a program related to airline or airport operations or management, aircraft maintenance, and pilot training
- complete the application form
- be a resident of the Northwest Territories and/or Nunavut, Canada, for a minimum of the previous two (2) years (proof of residency required, such as health care card, Drivers Licence, General Identification Card)
- demonstrate an intention to return to work in the north after studies are completed and evidence that the training is relevant to a career that is needed in Canada's territorial north
- provide an essay expressing why they wish to pursue an aviation career in the North, as well as how the scholarship would further their career plan (essay must be legible and provide sufficient detail to assess the applicant’s commitment to an aviation career)
- provide two (2) references from an employer and/or a leader(s) in the community who have known the applicant for at least two years and who can speak to his/her commitment and the likelihood of career success
- provide academic transcripts which documents the applicant’s education and training to date; and
- provide proof of acceptance or conditional acceptance in an academic or technical aviation related program (which can be in the form of a letter or e-mail from the school).
The scholarships are awarded through a formal awarding process that assesses the student’s likelihood of success, clarity of career goals, and commitment to the training.
Applications must be received by 11:59 P.M., August 31, 2016
Awards are for one academic year. Scholarship winners are eligible to reapply for awards in subsequent years, but preference will be given to first-time recipients. Those who do not complete their training are ineligible for further awards.]
An Award Selection Committee has been established by the partners to screen and select the successful recipients. A list of weighted rating criteria has been developed to assist the Award Selection Committee in their task, as follows:
- content of essay, including clarity of career plan and its relevance to a career in aviation in the North;
- academic potential;
- potential for success (commitment); and
- other relevant considerations (the Selection Committee will establish the criteria for which points will be awarded to applicants under this section on an as-required basis.
Preference will be given to first-time recipients over previous recipients and to second-time recipients over those who have already received two or more awards. Those who fail to complete training for which a scholarship was previously awarded will be ineligible for consideration for future awards. Award decisions made by the Selection Board shall be final.
Click here to download the scholarship application form.